Location: New York (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse or Long Island preferred)
Status: full time; Exempt
The Fines & Fees Justice Center (FFJC) is a national center for advocacy, policy, information and collaboration on effective solutions to the unfair and damaging imposition and enforcement of fines and costs in the system criminal justice. The mission of the FFJC is to end abusive collection practices, eliminate fees in the criminal justice system and make fines proportional to the offense.
and the individual. The FFJC works with affected communities, advocates and justice system stakeholders to create an equitably funded justice system that treats individuals fairly and ensures public safety.
Summary of position
The Deputy Director will be responsible for focusing the experiences of those directly affected by fines and fees to advance New York State’s campaigns for fines and fees reform. Under the direction of the Director of New York State, the Deputy Director will work with those affected by fines and charges to identify harmful policies and potential solutions; build relationships with key stakeholders, including legislators, organizations and community members; co-lead state and local coalitions; and research, write and manage projects to advance campaigns for fine and fee reform in New York City. In collaboration with the FFJC research team, the Deputy Director will also identify, collect and analyze data on the imposition and collection of fines and fees in New York.
to understand the impacts on individuals, and on local and state governments. The Deputy Director will also work with the Director of State and partner organizations to organize campaign events, and develop talking points and advocacy materials.
● Support the New York State Director of the FFJC and the New York Campaign by representing the FFJC at stakeholder meetings, raising awareness to build and strengthen coalitions, and researching, writing and strategizing for them. coalitions
● In collaboration with the Director of State, align New York State campaigning activities with organizational values of focusing on those directly affected by fines and fees
● Regardless of the research, synthesis and maintenance of technical, academic and legal data
● Organizing lobbying and education activities, including training
● Served as the advocate for New York State Fines and Charges reform
● Monitor and communicate relevant legislative activities and report findings to the New York State Director
● Summarized research findings, developed talking points and other campaign materials
● Other duties assigned by the Director of the State of New York
● Post-graduate degree in public policy, political science, criminal justice, journalism or other relevant fields, and at least one year of experience in research, communication or advocacy (emphasis is on criminal justice, economic justice or racial justice preferred) OR a university degree and at least three years of relevant experience
● Excellent writing skills, with the ability to write persuasively for a variety of different audiences
● Excellent investigative and research skills
● Project management skills
● Interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work with diverse communities, including race, socio-economic status, religion, gender expression, sexual orientation, educational levels, etc.
● Demonstrated ability to think strategically about criminal justice reform
● Sense of humor
● Team player
● Ability to work independently and remotely
● Commitment to grow as a leader in response to feedback and mentoring
● Those who have been personally affected by the criminal justice system are strongly encouraged to apply
● Knowledge of New York politics, courts and / or budget is a plus
● Fluency in the Spanish language is a plus
$ 65,000 – $ 75,000 with generous vacation and time off policy, health, dental and vision insurance and transportation benefits.
How to register
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for the position to Antonya Jeffrey at [email protected]
New careers in venture capital funds
The Fines & Fees Justice Center is a project of the New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501 (c) (3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public interest projects and grant programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a dynamic, enriching work environment that allows everyone to realize their potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious beliefs, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation , national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by local law and / or of the state in which they are working.